Dear Lacemakers,

I purchased these two volumes when they were last highlighted on Arachne.  I
used Western Union to pay for them, and had no communications problems.  The
seller was fluent in English.  The person selling was also selling accessory
items to wear.  These are new books.  Quite large and heavy, which explains the
shipping costs.  When something like this is sent from this part of the world,
air mail is the way to go.

There has been a change in the translation of the word OYA from what we know
in books published in the West.  I think of OYA as a specific type of knotted
lace from Armenia, which spread to other Mediterranean countries.  Armenia was
demolished by the Turks (Hitler is said to have followed their tactics), and
my recent books on this lace never mention Armenia.  I know I wrote a full and
comprehensive memo about these books on Arachne in the past, and do not want
to repeat it all.  I also sent information to Lacefairy about 6 books on
Turkish lace on March 31, 2003, for her book listing.

OYA, to the Turkish is the knotted needle lace, crochet, hairpin (crochet)
and tatting (shuttle work).  These two volumes are presented like catalogs, in
color, with no instructions.  Introduction and captions are in Turkish and
English.  Volume 1 is 253 pages; Volume 2 is 256 pages.

At the same time, I purchased a third book from the same source, which I
think would be of *more value to lacemakers*.  It is:  "Osmanli' dan Gunumuze
Oyalar (Oya Culture Since the Ottomans)", by Taciser Onuk, published by T.C.
Kultur Bankanligi, Ankara, 2000.  ISBN: 975-17-2451-1.  Hard cover.  Instructions
in Turkish and English, 283 pages.

The author of this third book carries the title Prof. Dr., majored in fine
arts, and is female.  I have a 1980 out-of-print book by the same person.  The
2000 book has colored pictures, nicely-drawn diagrams, and directions.  Suit
yourself - but if you could have just one book on Turkish lace directly from
Turkey - this would be my recommendation.

My total purchase price for the three books, plus s/h and Western Union
service charge was $200.02.

Other books on subject:

"Knotted Lace - in the Eastern Mediterranean Traditon" by Elena Dickson, from
the Milner Craft Series, Sally Milner Publishing, Australia (available in the
U.S.), ISBN 1-86351-121-0.  Can be ordered at a full-service book store, and
some embroidery shops.  Cost was $16 in 2000.  Soft cover.  Instructional book
of 133 pages.

"Armenian Needlelace and Embroidery" by Alice Odian Kasparian, EPM
publications of McLean, Virginia 1983, ISBN 0-914440-65-9.  Out-of-print.  Original
cost
$30.  Hard cover.  History and instructional book of 127 pages.  Extensive
bibliography.  Considered by many to be the best book on the subject.  The
history section is particularly compelling.  I would choose it over all the others.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center