>>>From: Carolyn Hastings [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Second, I learned at a workshop presented by Archival Products that there
are a number of the plastic pockets on the market that are marked "archival"
that aren't, at all.  As far as I could tell, about the only way to
distinguish was to purchase materials from a very reputable supplier, <<<

I second this (thought about putting in a warning, but didn't).  There are
often impurities in the less expensive products of chemicals considered
archival.  Even "polyester" batting comes in various qualities.  The stuff
sold for stuffing quilts is not, generally, pure polyester.  Similarly, not
all mylar, polyethylene, etc. are truly inert and safe.

In addition, there doesn't seem to be any federal regulation (at least in
the US) of the word "archival", so inexpensive products by popular companies
may be nasty as all get-out but still bear the label.  This is a widespread
problem in scrapbooking supplies.

Unfortunately, this is a field where you still do get what you pay
for--truly archival materials and products are expensive.

Robin P.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA