MAGAZINE DRAW
It's not too late to get your name in for the Valentine's Day draw for a
copy of Lace Crafts Quarterly.   Thanks to another lister there is more than
one copy to give away, plus there might be a bonus draw for a few other
goodies.  Just send me your name (off list, please) by Saturday February 14
and the results will be announced on Sunday.

BRITISH LACE EVENTS IN MAY
Does anyone know of any residential lace courses and/or lace days in the UK
in May?  Regrettably, I won't be able to get there for the Lace Guild
Convention at the end of April  (WHY do all the summer travel specials start
in May?) so I'm hoping there'll be something else.  Nothing on the Lace
Guild web page for May yet...

LACE IN LITERATURE
>From The Grand Complication by Allan Kurzweil, somewhat zany, but a good
read, especially for librarians:
"It was in that hotel room that Nic and I had our first fight as man and
wife.  At issue was a headboard bearing an image of Vermeer's pensive
lacemaker.  As an art student in Paris, Nic had studied the original; there
was no way, she announced, she'd make love under the grotesque gaze of a
silk-screened reproduction."

Well, I would, especially when I think of the *art* that adorns the hotel
rooms I've stayed in recently...
There's another passage later in the book mentioning about a lace collar
worn by Marie Antoinette on display at Versailles.  (This is a novel, no
idea of the accuracy of the detail.)

JulieO in Whitehorse, Yukon with unusually mild weather for February...I'm
sure we'll get more winter, but in the meantime we are delighting in the 50
degree Celsius temperature rise from last week to this.. [EMAIL PROTECTED]