Since the Battenberg-style tapes are flat, it's easy to cross them.
Crossing the round Romanian cords would create an unsightly (to me) bulge.
It may not be a rule of the lace, but it would certainly be ugly to my eye.

However, many Battenberg-style patterns that have loops in them can be made
by bringing the cord up to the point where the pattern crosses, then turning
to go "wrong-way" around the loop and back to the point at which the pattern
crosses, then continue on your way.  Instead of a loop like the written
letter "e", you'd have something more like omega.

Robin P.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA