Hello all,
As far as I know, Point of Spain laces were worked ones in torchon and other as plaited laces with gold and silver threads. (S. XV, XVI and XVII), so at that time torchon technique existed yet.
You can find some information on the web:

Museo del Encaje de Castilla y Leon:
http://www.museoencaje.com/

Though it is in Spanish, there are some interesting pictures, among them
one worked in torchon with gold thread.

A very synthesized history of lace in Spain can be found in my page:
http://www.geocities.com/carolgallego/lacespain.html
http://www.geocities.com/carolgallego/hist.html

Regards,

Carolina. Barcelona. Spain.