When I had a very basic roller pillow with no satisfactory anchor to
stabilise the roller I found the most effective way to hold it was by using a piece of
tape or ribbon over the top of each end of the roller with the front ends
pinned into the pillow near the roller (they are mainly needed to keep the roller
down into the box, but also so you don't have to put "weight-bearing pins"
into the roller), and have longer ends at the back pinned low down on the pillow
with the pin at angled so the point is higher than the head.  It is the pins
at the back that do the work; they are holding both the constant weight of the
bobbins and the extra pull when you are working .  I then put a pin through
the tape at the top of the roller.  To turn the roller this was the only pin
that needed to be moved.

As I said before, it is the back edge of the roller that needs to be held
firmly but I found that if I tried to hold the roller in place with a pin or tape
just from the back of the roller to the pillow, it damaged the roller because
you are pulling hard against it.

I think you said that your pillow has a hole but the roller is now too wide
to fit in it.   If you over-fill the hole with something soft like wadding and
pin a cloth loosely over the top then you will be able to seat the bottom
curve of the roller into the stuffing, so it doesn't move around much.

If I am mistaken about the hole, the same principle should work but I would
make two firm "sausages" and pin them to the pillow first, to make a groove for
the roller to sit into so it is more secure.  If you are using the whole
width of the roller to work on (which I assume you are otherwise you wouldn't need
such a wide one <VBG>) then you could have 3 or 4 tapes and remove them as
needed so they are not across the bit of pillow you are using.  The pins will
probably be far enough apart to allow the tape to go between them.

I hope some of these ideas are of help to you.
Jacquie