>>> Cow and a calf". Or "mother and babe". Those are bobbins (always
Midlands, I think) which are carved/turned in such a way that a larger  one
will "carry", within itself, a really tiny (no more than 3/4-1") one. <<<
>>>I have a couple of these lovely old bobbins,  but they are not spangled
as Midlands bobbins are.  They are more in the tradition of "thumpers'' ,
used, I think in Bedfordshire lace.  Elaine Merritt <<<

I have a cow and calf, also called jack-in-the-box, I think.  As I'm
unmarried and not a parent, I figured I shouldn't have a "mother and babe"
bobbin, but I gave my mother one for Mother's Day.  As a zoologist, I
figured the cow and calf was just fine for me! B-D

Mother and babe bobbins have the baby "imprisoned" inside the shaft of the
mother, with windows cut in the shaft so you can see it.  Some turners even
make twins and triplets inside the mother.  That requires especially tiny
carving!

Cow and calf bobbins have the little calf bobbin stuck into the bottom and
removable.  Mine is Midlands and I have it spangled, but I have to be
careful.  The spangle is actually attached to the calf and that's just
pressure-fit into the cow.  If I move it too lustily, the weight of the
spangle can induce birth, so to speak.

Robin P.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA