Aurelia
I've used all 6 strands of DMC floss to make some samples, intrigued as you
are by the huge array of colors.  I found that 6 strands worked well at
5/inch.  The reason against using it that I can see is that with multiple
strands easily separated there is too much opportunity for hard objects to
snag some of those threads as the finished lace is used.  If you were making
a piece that would be permanently displayed under glass, this objection
would fall.  Using only one strand I would expect the thread to be too
likely to break.  As an embroiderer I found it could break.
Lorelei