I've paraphrased Tamara's French fans instructions to tell you how I was
taught to work these.

>>On the outside: pin, make however-many twists (I like 3 for my "turns",
but that's a personal preference, and not something that my many books
support <g>) with the worker pair. Work to the inside through all the
passive pairs *but the last one*.<<

Place a pin (this is the pivoting pin) in the pinhole with the last
(unworked) passive on the outside of the pin. This pair becomes the
"pivoting pair." If you're working to the left, then this passive would be
on the left side of the pin. If you're working to the right, then this
passive would be on the right side of the pin.

**Twist the worker pair once or twice (depending upon the thickness of the
thread), take the worker around the pin and under the pivoting pair. Work
back to the outer edge of the fan and back to the pivoting pair. Repeat from
** as many times as necessary.

Proceed with the pattern until the pivoting pair is taken into the work. At
this point AND NOT BEFORE, remove the pivoting pin and tension the pairs.

This method produces a wonderfully, smooth and flat French fan. It can also
be used on very tight corners with equally impressive results.

Carole
Dublin, OH