Tamara

> question as well, but... *In Polish*, we have a word "pasmanteria"
> (which seems to have been stolen directly from French) and it covers

Be carefull comparing (almost) identical words in different languages.
Once I confirmed a Swiss gui not to be "serious". He laid down his spoon:
"Do you mean the French or German serious?" I answered "to be honest: the
Dutch". It appeared that the French interpretation resembles the Dutch: I
meant he was a joker from time to time, but in German serious just means
trustworthy.

Jo Falkink
http://www.xs4all.nl/~falkink/lace/intro-EN.html