Hello everyone!

Tamara mentioned that Doris teaches the "open" (TCTC) method whereas most other introductory lacemaking books teach the "closed" (CTCT) method. I must first say that Doris is a member of our local lace guild and so we have a special place for her in our heart. It's not surprising that we use her book when teaching new students. Such was the case a few years ago when I decided to take a bobbin lace class and found the group. However, a couple years prior to that I had taken my very first lace class which taught CTCT. I had a hard time making the adjustment to Doris' book with it's TCTC method. I liked her step-by-step teaching method and think it is one of the easiest books for teaching yourself lace. I decided to stick with my CTCT method and made the necessary adjustments to her lessons by taking out a twist here and adding it back there. I soon realized that because I was able to do this I actually knew what I was doing!!! I was a lacemaker!

Whenever I recommend introductory lacemaking books to a beginner I always mention that while Doris' book has very detailed instructions, she uses a method that is likely to be different from the other books. But if you can figure out how to interpret the instructions and transistion from one book to another then that is a sign that you understand what you are doing. I also firmly believe that every beginnning lace maker should not limit herself to a single book, but 2 or 3. Each book (Stott, Cook, Nottingham, Shepherd) has useful information not found in the other books. Sometimes it is also helpful to have the same information presented in a different style.

In addition to Doris Southard's book, my favorite beginning book is "Introduction to Bobbin Lacemaking" by Rosemary Shepherd. I like the detail in her diagrams. I believe this book is back in print again from the author.

Anita Hansen
Cedar Rapids, Iowa