Hello Folks,

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome to the list, to those who emailed me off list, and to Tamara and to those other newby's who were brave enough to ask questions, so I don't feel so alone.

I so look forward to my digests. I’ve giggled and laughed and visited some of your web sites and heard my jaw hit the floor at the beauty you’ve created. I’ve already started a folder of “things I need to know.”

<Ever after, I decided that what "counted"
<was how my *lace* looked, not how proper (or improper) *I* looked.

Thanks for this Tamara. I spend way too much time comparing myself to others as it is. Being a newby is definitely a humbling experience! <G>

My DH is enjoying watching me learn. He calls it “bobbering”.

Okay, first questions:

I’m practicing Bruges braids – tight curves. Yikes! The instructions say to do a whole stitch and twist at the beginning and end. Okay, do I do that before or after I place the pin? My edge doesn’t look right. It doesn’t have that nice space running down the edges. I’ve been doing a CTC with the last 2 prs, pin CTCT + T.

Also, everything looks uneven. I’m doing the sample with an S curve to it, and when I try to place the pins at an angle, they are in the way later on. But, if I place them straight up and down, my lace kind of climbs up the pins. Maybe the unevenness is a practice thing?

I finally got the hang of holding down the passives as I tightened the worker and holding the worker while I pull straight down on the passives to straighten them. I’m seeing some puckers in the straight part. Am I pulling too much or is my thread too heavy? I’m using #8 perle cotton (waiting for the correct threads to arrive in the mail.)

Okay, enough questions for now. I don't want to wear out my welcome!

Humbly Yours,
Mary