  Then to find little me?
A few stitches snipped,
  And a wedding hanky I'll be.

And if per chance it is a BOY
  Some day he'll surely wed;
So to his bride
  He can present--the hanky
Once worn upon his head.

All you do is make a square hanky and fold in half. At the fold half you make a running stitch wide enough for a 1/8" or 1/4" ribbon to tie it. then up at the front corners I make a bow out the top of a piece of ribbon and tack it on leaving enough hang to make a tie. Does that make sense? Then you have a bonnet.

2. Another version

This bonnet at first seems small in your hands.
A treasure of lace and ribbon bands.
But this gift is more then linen and charms.
For the sweet babe that rests in Mother's arms.
>From boxes long sealed she will search for the hat.
Snip off the ribbons then after that.
Hand over this handkerchief with a smile.
To her daughter in while who walks down the aisle.
Or maybe her son, a young handsome groom.
She will hand him a gift, a family heirloom.
He will give it to the one who lives in his heart.
To have and to hold till death them do part.

I have had several requests for this. I realize this isn't strictly lacy.
No patterns involved. But I hope all will bear with it and hit the delete
button if there aren't any babies in your future<G>

Making the hat. You need a 12" handkerchief. Now you could cheat and buy
one with machine lace on it. Only I KNOW that no one on this list would do
that. I got lucky and purchased three lovely handkerchiefs in a second
hand store. They have beautiful drawn thread work and really nice rolled
edges. I haven't been real happy about the quality of the rolled edges on
"new" handkerchiefs.
Work the edging of your choice around the hanky. That was the hard part. I
tatted a very delicate single thread edge around mine, because the hanky
was so fine. I sewed the lace on after I finished tatting it, gathering it
slightly in the corners. Ok you now have a hanky with a nice lace edge on
it. The rest it a breeze.

Fold back one edge of the hanky a third.If you are making the hat for an
older baby you can make the folds less. Its your call.)
Sew a running stitch up about an inch from the fold, creating a casing.
Pull a ribbon through the casing. Tie the ribbon into a bow, gathering the
hat in. This is the back of the hat.
Front of the hat. Fold the front of the hat back a third, or whatever you
need to fit your baby. Sew a running stitch just under the lace. Turn back
each end and tack down. Add ribbon roses, bows or whatever you like. Tack
down ribbons for ties. The hat is done.

I got this of one of the Usenet groups a long time ago. There was no credit
to the author.

                 ------------------------|    casing
                | -----------------------|
                |                        |
                |------------------------|
                |                        |
                |                        |
                |                        |
                |\----------------------/|
                |   \                 /  |       fold back corners
                |     \            /     |
                 --------------------------

This is about the limit of my computer art, but I am sure you get the idea.

dear listers
this is from my own archives that I have saved for nine years and can go back when someone needs something
I am sure someone else will also send their copies and maybe make some more of their own
hope this is what you are looking for
yours in lace

Dearl
Christiansburg, Virginia, USA
My idea of housework is to sweep the room with a glance.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.cablenet-va.com/~dearlk/
http://photos.yahoo.com/ladearl