In a message dated 12/05/2004 01:11:48 GMT Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> As far as I'm concerned, only two laces "belong" in that group:
> Milanese and Chrysanthemum. And, of the 2, Chrysanthemum is "iffy", "on
> the fence", as it were, since it uses only one decorated braid (and
> that not always) and makes its (simple) fillings "on the go"...

Then surely you must also include Spanish braid lace "Witch stitch",  with
its meander and figure of eight braids.

Many thanks to everyone for your input on this subject, so far the concensus
seems to be that there is even less clarity in the States than here <g>   Even
though *I* was taught braid is bobbin and tape is machine (my main teacher
has been Pat Read) and it seems to be generally understood as such here, I am
still always careful that those I am talking to are on the same wavelength to
minimise confusion.

Jacquie