Hi everyone.
I too was thrilled to get my Lace magazine this weekend. I saw the front
cover, was inspired and looked eagerly at the inside pages to see if the
design was accompanied by its pattern. Sadly it wasn't, but as I read
that it took the lacer (Barbara Churchward) ten years to complete I
engaged brain and thought that my initial adrenaline inspired idea to
embark on this as my first ever piece of Honiton lace was so way out as
to be ridiculous!
Does anyone on the list know any more about this mat? Does it look even
more stunning in reality? How large is it & so on?
Next to get back to the inspiration and a wish to "have a go" at Honiton
I'd like your ideas on the question "Do I need the right equipment?" I
know that if I take to this particular style of lace I would, but until
I know I wouldn't want to buy another pillow and a set of new bobbins.
I've got le UK Lace Guild's basic technical instruction book for
Honiton, which has enough details to tell me how.
Would a 16in domed straw pillow be ok to start with? (or a flat
polystyrene one)
Would unspangled light weight midlands bobbins work, or would they be so
frustrating as to put me off before I got going?
When I did my first attempts at Milanese braids I enlarged the prickings
and used a thicker thread. What would the pitfalls of doing this as a
complete Honiton beginner?

Many thanks as always for your thoughts
Viv