In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes
>Congratulations!  Is there a picture available anywhere?
>(And do you get a posy with your prize?)

I forgot to take my voucher with me yesterday (the exhibition opening
day at Coventry) to pick up a catalogue, but I think there may be a
photo either in that or possibly going into July Lace (have the proofs
to read at the moment, but obviously I can't reveal what's in it!) - I'm
sure I saw a picture of it in one or the other.

The Australian Lace Guild piece that won the adult group entry is
magnificent, big congratulations to them! and there was far too much to
take in on one visit - thankfully I'm demonstrating there on a couple of
the Saturdays so I will have chance to have another look.
(Demonstrations of lacemaking are taking place from 11am-3pm every
Saturday). There were nearly 300 entries this year, too many,
unfortunately, for the gallery to exhibit, and I believe the ones that
couldn't be displayed will be on show at The Hollies from mid July.

Congratulations also to the other Arachnes who won prizes/medals - Liz
Ligetti and Jane Eborall (her piece won the Ring of Tatters' Rosebowl)
spring to mind. The list is to go on the Guild website - I'm sure many
are eagerly waiting for Jean and David to do the update this time!

I decided to keep quiet until the more distant prize winners had
received their letters, but I also won a Medal of Excellence for my
"Rainbow Choker" - one of two to be awarded in the "Something to Wear or
Wave" class - though there were several of the other entries which were
equally good if not better than mine! The letter was a lovely shock
after a hard day at work! I'm disappointed that the beaded Ankh (think
I've spelt that right) on the top of my class' piece, "Mummy's Lace",
got bent out of recognition (despite careful packaging), but that is
what it is supposed to be.

The exhibition is colourful, wonderful, and inspiring - if you get the
chance to go to see it between now and the end of August (it is open
every day), do. My husband is still trying to work out how Judith
Connors gets her tatting so even, and I kept getting "did you see...."
comments from him - he's not a lacemaker, but descended from a
Nottingham (machine) lace worker.

The tea room is still closed, being in the part of the building
undergoing refurbishment. It should have been finished last year, but
the work has had delays and will now likely carry on till the end of the
summer, according to the staff. However, there are several cafes and
restaurants in the shopping centre, near to the gallery. There are
exhibition catalogues and bobbins (Midland and Honiton) available in the
gallery shop - as well as a few lace and tatting books.
--
Jane Partridge