I think this sounds like a fascinating project and I'd like to offer Clay
any help I can. There's a nice clump of arachnids in the Virginia/North
Carolina area which might be a good place to do the physical assembly
before mailing.

Several of the "sevens" already suggested sound very promising (seven sins,
seven houses, seven sisters, seven seas/continents) but I'm particularly
charmed by Tamara's Polish saying--perhaps we could do seven "sevens"!
The seven seas/continents seems very appropriate to Arachne, though, given
the nature of our group. And perhaps a spiderweb of 0's and 1's holding
all the parts together? (That could be done in wirework, which would help
give the final piece some rigidity and make packing it easier and safer.)

>Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 20:01:40 -0400
>From: "Tamara P. Duvall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: [lace] Re: Arachne lace project
>
>Clay has kindly offered to co-ordinate the international efforts but,
>before she undertakes this job (which is likely to be of mammoth
>proportions and 3-yrs duration), it would be nice to know that the
>effort is worth-while. I think we'd need to know a bit more what is and
>what isn't possible, before we plunge into the project.
>
>- ---
>Tamara P Duvall             http://lorien.emufarm.org/~tpd
>Lexington, Virginia, USA     (Formerly of Warsaw, Poland)
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 21:25:54 -0400
>From: "Tamara P. Duvall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: [lace] Re: Seven...
>
>On Jun 1, 2004, at 20:19, Jane Viking Swanson wrote:
>
>> Hi All,  Don't forget the Seven Dwarfs!  Personally, I'm thinking
>> about Tamara's seven mountains, etc. and Jo's village name.
>
>Me, I like the sins (because of colour possibilities) and the Seven
>Sisters roses (because many people could participate)
>
>> I'm thinking about squares that fit together to
>> form the larger picture.  Then some would be easier to make
>> to fill in the sky or the seven forests.
>
>And I'm thinking that a 3-D project would open the project to more
>participants (though it would be a nightmare to assemble and then ship
>to its destination), *if* we're permitted to go ahead with it.
>
>> pattern drafting such a large project sounds like a nightmare!
>
>Well, as I remember it, the *size* is "prescribed" by the competition
>rules (though I don't remember what it is... Anyone?). That's why I'm
>thinking a 3-D might offer more scope; an ordinary lace group is likely
>to have maybe 10-15 members participating. If this Arachne project
>"flies", we're likely to have many more. Even if we have a division of
>labour (different people drawing overall pictures, deciding which
>drawing to accept for the group, designing it in lace so the bits would
>fit, parcelling out the bits, with instructions etc), it will still be
>difficult to accomodate everyone.
>
>Unless, of course, the whole idea becomes so popular, that most people
>decide to enter individual projects, with a little "as inpired by
>Arachne" note attached :) In which case, the organizers might, again,
>not be able to exhibit everyone's entry...
>
>- ---
>Tamara P Duvall             http://lorien.emufarm.org/~tpd
>Lexington, Virginia, USA     (Formerly of Warsaw, Poland)

Sue Lambiris--usually a lurker, but getting stimulated to activity by all this!
Raleigh, NC (where summer is being followed by spring, to everyone's relief...)