I had envisioned something similar (though before the St. Ives idea
was proposed, so I just had seven mountains, seven rivers (which
could be basic "snakes" to accomodate less experienced lacers),
seven forests (a characteristic tree, flower, or even leaf--again,
leaves would be suitable for less experienced lacers), seven ships
of varying types (outrigger canoe, Baltimore clipper, etc) to sail
the seven seas, and seven suitably costumed ladies ("seven sisters").
I thought of having the seven panels linked to each other so that
they could be unfolded to form a sort of seven-sided cylinder-like
globe, and the digital spiderweb in wirework was to provide the
framework for each panel and the overall rigidity of the piece. The
panels could be folded to lie on top of each other (with tissue paper
or the new thin shock-padding between them) which would save a lot of
shipping space, and the extended array would be intrinsicly much more
stable than pages attached to a pole--as well as carrying out the
"world" element of our theme.

Must say, I like the use of the St. Ives rhyme as a unifying theme
(though I also liked Tamara's saying) and I particularly like the
idea of cats' paws, whiskers, etc showing up in unexpected ways and
places. The eighth panel (or could it be a top for the unfolded
array of panels?) with all the explanations also sounds like a good
modification to my scheme. Having a top would also make it easier
for the people unpacking the entry to work out how it was meant to
be set up.... On the other hand, without the top there would be more
flexibility on how to unfold it--the panels could be shown in the
cylinder, or as a straight strip, or in a zig-zag, depending on the
space available for displaying the lace, and also there would be
reason to do both sides of the panel, which would make more space
for all the things we want to include without having the design look
busy.

I already moderate a group on Yahoo and would be willing to take on
the job of dealing with the computer aspects of running the group
already set up there. By keeping it out of the directory, setting
its contents for members-only access and insisting that all members
use the same addresses that they use for the Arachne list it should
be possible to keep it spammer-free and quite private.

Sue Lambiris
Raleigh, NC  (where it's a gray, and almost pleasant, day)

Tamara wrote (in part):
>1) Size and Shape
>Seven panels, each 70cm square, each in a 3.5cm deep frame.
>With the lace in the middle (attached to a piece of fabric, with a
>piece of cardboard in the middle to give the panel some stability
>before it's framed), it ought to leave about 1cm off-set, to protect
>the lace in one panel from touching the lace in the next one. For
>packing purposes, if we stack them, we have: 3.5x7=24.5 cm (say 25). 25
>+ 140 = 165. Should leave plenty of room for packing materials. And
>each panel/panel half could be assembled regionally, and sent to
>whoever offers to frame them and forward to the Lace Guild as a single
>entry.
>
>Alternatively (and, possibly, a better idea), we could have *8* panels;
>7 with lace, and one with explanations of the many transcontinental
>sevens :) The sizes of the panels would need to be changed then, to
>allow for the 8th frame.
Susan Lambiris
Raleigh, NC