Hi all,
I am returning to my computer after spending a day with a group at The
Lace Museum sorting a lot of donated lace that has been piling up.
Thanks to some dedicated volunteers, our storage system is getting a
major overhaul!!

I thought I better answer  Ann-Marie's question.
I made the lace directly on the ornaments.  First, a tape of an
appropriate width was wrapped around the ornament to create the desired
spaces.  This takes some juggling and pins are helpful at this point.
Then I tack the points of crossing with thread.  Sometimes I also run
some basting threads between the tapes to keep them from shifting and
distorting my design while working.  I can clip them as needed.   I try
to start and end the wrapping  at the top where the cap will help to
hide hide the ends. Then I work needle lace stitches in each of the
spaces, alternating dense and open areas of stitching.  Carefully
stitching into the tape makes it unnecessary to do any work over the
edges.  I have tried various shapes and find they do not all work as
well as the heart. or the onion shaped ornaments.  I have just uploaded
another ornament to show an onion shaped one.

I have also finally put up my version of the needle lace penguin by Ruth
McCartney.  My husband and I, too, enjoyed the Blue Penguins in New
Zealand - even helping to band some one evening as they came ashore.

Paula Harten