In a message dated 12/06/2004 19:02:24 GMT Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> The people would mostly be facing
> the "TO". sign, except for a wife who stopped to pick up a lost sack and is
> turned around while picking it up.

No.  That's the whole point!  It's "I" that's going to St Ives, the rest are
coming from there, so the people need to be facing away from the village.  If
they were all going to St Ives it would be a maths problem not a riddle.

If you want it to be the viewer who is "I", then the people need to be coming
towards you, not going from side to side on the panel.

There are 3 St Ives in England, the best known being the one in Cornwall.  I
can't find any evidence as to which one is referred to in the rhyme; it could
have been just because it happens to rhyme with wives.  So it doesn't matter
much what the village/town (if you have one) looks like as there is no
distinguishing feature like a cathedral tower.

Jacquie