On 20 Jun 2004, at 12:08, Karen wrote:

I have a torchon pattern which I would like to redraft. The original has
some distortion and needs enlarging, so starting from scratch would probably
be easier and safer.

The pattern is a five pointed star, and is worked as 5 segments, like a
pentagon. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can find a grid
suitable for this. I believe the angle of the diamond the grid would be
based on need to be 72 and 108 degrees. I've looked through all my lace
books and cannot find anything suitable.

Karen

If you use Windows the easiest way to get a 72 degree grid is to go to Steph Peters' website and download her grid generator program.

If you do you will need to print off five copies of the grid, cut them up and paste together - using scissors and glue.

If you prefer to computer design it's a case of taking a square section of grid, rotating it 45 degrees and then compressing one axis to 0.7265 percent (that's tangent of 36 degrees). Copy the new grid four times and then re-arrange all five sections to form a star shape.

I think that what you are describing as a five pointed star is really a development of a square, which is a four pointed star. Take one quarter of a square mat - a square section with the mitred angle going across diagonally - and rotate it 45 degrees so that the two outside edges are to the top and the two inner sides are to the bottom. Compress in the X axis so that you have an upright lozenge. Copy that 4 times and re-arrange all five sections to make your 5 pointed star. To make the pattern workable you will need to make sure that there is a space in the middle and not a pinhole

To try to explain it better to you I'll send you scans of a six pointed star pattern developed from a square in a similar way, and also a five point star grid which I've just done - to refresh my memory of how to do it.

If you have an Acorn/RISC OS computer I could send you !Drawfiles.

Brenda http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/paternoster/