It depends a bit on what sort of lace we are talking about.

Nice machine lace (or even handmade lace) that doesn't really come into the
*collector's* category I would prefer to keep in larger yardages as this gives
me the option of using it.

If it's what I would consider to be of real collector interest then I would
be very upset to think it had been cut up, but on the other hand if I didn't
know.....

Is she looking at this altruistically in that she wants to allow as many
collectors as possible to benefit from her goods, or does she see a potential for
a bigger profit on more, shorter lengths.

This reminds me of a lady I was opposite at a craft fair a couple of weeks
ago.  I was sitting making lace all weekend, and she was selling "hand-carved
stone African-art masterpieces".  Quite pricey, too.  Just one of everything
that was on show.  When she sold one, then the stall was rearranged to fill the
gap.  But a couple of hours later a duplicate of the sold one appeared from
under the table.  No doubt by now, she thought the purchaser was long gone.  This
was repeated several times over the weekend.  Now, I don't have a real
problem with this except the implication was that they were all original (equal to
expensive) but if I had wanted to buy a carving where there were several
versions, I think I would have liked to have chosen which one I wanted.  And I'd
love to have known what the carvers got paid, certainly a tiny fraction of what
she was selling them for.

Jacquie