Hi,

I am a bit behind on digests but I thought I would add my bit on
lacemaking sisters (and other family members).  My grandmother was a
lacemaker (for pleasure) having learnt in her childhood.  She taught my
two sisters the basics when they were about 9 and 8, though by the time it
was my turn she wasn't interested in teaching any more :-(.  The eldest
(Sarah) made lace for a while in her late teens/early twenties but has
done little since.  The middle sister (Susan) got back into lacemaking
about the same time and has avidly continued, specializing in Honiton,
Beds and Bucks (mostly self-taught).  As she says, having learnt tallies
at a very early age, she never thought that any aspect of lacemaking would
be tricky and therefore hasn't had the mental barriers some of us have
faced.  She is by far the most proficient lacemaker of the family and
regularly contributes patterns to Lace as well as reviewing books for
them.  She has also come out to Vancouver to teach a Honiton class which
was very successful.  Then there is me (the baby!)  I started trying to
make lace in my late twenties when I found evening classes near where I
lived at the time (my sisters were too far away to use them).  I managed
to get to about three lessons before they stopped but I had learnt enough
for me to then pick up the basics from some books I was able to buy. Susan
has now started teaching our niece (Sarah's daughter, aged five) the
basics of Honiton so another generation has become involved.  In addition,
my Dad makes many of our bobbins and also made my first roller pillow
based on one my Grandmother had (which Susan then inherited).  I don't
know of any other lacemakers in the family as they were pretty much all
tenant farmers on both sides.

Best wishes,

Helen ([EMAIL PROTECTED] in windy but sunny Vancouver, BC, on the
west coast of mainland Canada)