LeAnn,

I don't have a snood pattern but I am a regular snood wearer (as a married
Jewish orthodox woman, I cover my hair at all times outside the house).
Almost anything that is comfortable around the rim of the head will be fine,
as long as it is sufficiently long. Most important thing to remember is not
to make the elastic too tight or it will give your friend a blinding
headache! A diameter (measured around, not across) of about 22 inches will
fit most women. The elastic at the top should be thin (1/4" at the absolute
maximum; I think I would use a doubled strand of elastic thread), which
means that the finished snood should be fairly light.

Length of the snood is variable, but 6-9" seems to be a good length--long
enough to cover the back of the head, short enough not to be too hot on the
back of the neck. If you were to tat one and can't find a "real" snood
pattern, I'd suggest choosing a simple doily pattern and working it until
it's about 9" in diameter (measure around from time to time to make sure
that you have the right circumference). Then add rows of an insertion
pattern until it's long enough (there are lots of patterns for "bridal bags"
and they have the same construction). Because tatting produces a fairly
stiff fabric, check that it's soft enough for the snood to drape nicely. You
want something that hangs in folds and doesn't stick out like a wind-sock.

To actually cover the hair, you'll probably want to sew a lining and run an
elastic through a casing at the edge. If you use a slippery lining fabric
like satin, it will slide around unless lined at the edge with grosgrain
ribbon or fastened with a couple hair clips. Ask me how I know--at my own
wedding I underestimated the weight of my own hair (my hair was waist-length
and covered immediately after the ceremony, for the dancing) and my
non-existent skill with putting my hair up. I had a terrible time keeping my
satin snood on, until a guest took pity on me and gave me a couple of her
son's clips! <g> If you use satin, cotton would work well, as long as it is
soft enough to drape attracively.

Avital