In addition to Ipswich, Native Americans were making lace, the Sybil Carter
lace. However, when it did not feature canoes and things, it was virtuallly
indistinguishable from Belgian Lace. We also had various lace making endeavors
such as the Italian Lace School here in New York which used immigrant labor, but
that work was indistinguishable from Italian work.  Did you know that the art
college Pratt actually had its own lace style, called Pratt Point? Also,
Eleanor Roosevelt was involved in a scheme to teach people lace making during the
Depression. I think we could justify any style of lace.
More importantly, though, let us not forget that the lace jabots must be
properly presented since the Supreme Court often rejects things that are not
properly framed. An example of this would be the recent Pledge of Allegience case
where they side-stepped the issue because the father/plaintiff didn't have
custody of the child. We wouldn't want to give them any reason to side-step the
jabots. However, let's not make them too specific, containing monograms, for
instance, in case the judges send them to a lower court. I think, disappointing
though it may be, we could still have a nice presentation ceremony in a US
District Court or even a State Supreme Court.
Devon