As a total novice, I notice that many intermediate and experts have a
mixture of both ethafoam and straw pillows.

I'm wondering which pillows you prefer, and why.  I know that the ethafoam
can become worn easier after much use with the pins.  Is it the same with
the straw, or does the straw tend to 'regroup' better after being used over
and over with the pins.

I hope I'm making sense here.  Most novices start with the ethafoam because
of it's cheaper cost, but as you progress and become better, do you prefer
to move up to straw because it's better to work with?

I must say this is the most active I've been on this list, as I'm usually a
lurker, who hasn't done any lace in some time, and I'm finding this thread
most interesting.

Karen
Ontario, Canada