Ethafoam (polyethylene foam) pillows aren't available in the UK. Russell
Perrin of SMP Lace either tried one or did a survey on ethafoam, and UK
lacmakers didn't like it. It's the stuff that pipe lagging is made of, and,
now becoming more common here, pool noodles.

Here the foam pillows are known as either polystyrene - the white stuff - or
Styrofoam - the usually blue, harder stuff with smaller air bubbles.
Polystyrene is the most common and cheaper, covered with a layer of felt
before being finally covered with cotton or polycotton fabric. They
eventually crumble from having the pins put in and out, but not until
they've had quite a bit of usage.

Straw pillows take much longer to crumble, hold the pins very well, but are
much heavier. I've disposed of my straw pillows because they were just to
heavy for me - fine for someone younger and not arthritic.

Jean in Poole