on 7/15/04 5:59 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In designing the jabots, perhaps it would be wise to take into account the
> individual tastes of the justices, since compliance with jabot wearing will be
> proportional to the amount that the judges likes his or her jabot.

I would just like to point out that fine handmade lace lasts at least two or
three hundred years, whereas I doubt that any of our currently sitting
justices, for better or for worse, will last that long. So "the individual
tastes of the justices" is exactly _not_ the point. We are aiming at the
institution, not the individuals.

There is a very nice picture on p. 82 of Anne Kraatz's book ("Lace: History
and Fashion") of George Washington wearing a lace jabot. The jabot I have in
mind would be something like the one illustrated in Pam Nottingham's "Bucks
Point Lacemaking" on p. 115, Figure 138. The reason I say "something like"
is because anybody who has ever worked on a group project knows that you can
give the same pattern to a dozen very competent people, and you will get
back a dozen different pieces ‹‹ similar but not the same.

What I thought would be workable would be: we could all make the long narrow
center insertion ‹‹ Pam gives the pattern on the next page, and it's so easy
even a beginner could follow it ‹‹ and then each jabotmaker could choose her
own edging from a collection of Bucks edgings that I can offer. This would
not be an endless undertaking; even Pam calls it "easily made."

Look at what you started, Devon!

Aurelia