> Ok..that is the second person who mentioned horsehair pillows...will
someone explain horse hair pillows to me??
> Cearbhael

Oh, Cearbhael, that sentence brought back regrets for me!!!We used to have
an old single horsehair mattress which came from my grandmother's house
when I was young. We took it to our country home as a spare, then I
decided I liked it (I like firm mattresses), and started using it. I used
to drag it on the terrace in front of my bedroom (French windows) in
summer to sleep on the terrace (no mosquitoes!!) It was heaven, with the
stars and the Milky Way above and not a noise around except for owls
hooting, as it was not a very populated place at that time. I wouldn't do
it now!
And my great regret is that my parents threw the mattress away after I
went to Australia, as it was getting really old, and no-one else was
enthused about sleeping on it :-) just think how many pillows I could have
made with that horsehair if we still had it!!!Weep, weep!

Instead, I use mostly polystyrene (or whatever it is :-<) cookie pillows,
2 different sizes bought, including my original one which I still use 15
years or so later, but which is getting a big soggy on top (at $12.00, I
don't think it was a bad buy...). one has a copper bracelet on which needs
beading and finishing, the other one has a Xmas bookmark.

I have one fairly small(10-12 inch?) straw pillow which is very good, but
very heavy, so I don't like using it much, it's a sort of last resort
cookie pillow.

2 travelling pillows that I made, with a roller in the middle made with
the stuff you use to stuff soft toys. You just need to pack it hard, then
tease it out and repack it when it goes a bit soft, and I use removable
covers like Liz Ligeti, having also been to to dress all my pillows to
keep them clean. The shorter one has a fine edging on it for the "small
angels" appeal, the other one is packed up at present.

2 flat pillows, one just circular and fairly wide, the other with 3
removable blocks in the middle, which is useful to swap works when I go to
workshops. I've got an insertion on it at present which we are going to
use for a lace race next week when demonstrating at the Craft Fair in
Melbourne. that's been my favourite since I bought it.

My most cumbersome pillow is one which I bought years ago, before I knew
better.It's flat on top, with 3 and 1/2 blocks, with slopes on both sides
of the top, and it's built into a boxlike base which lifts up at one end
to reveal compartments where you can store your spare bobbins, threads and
probably lunch as well :-) I wouldn't know as it is much too heavy to take
anywhere, so I use it at home, where I don't really need the space for
bobbins, threads, etc...Still, it's a good pillow, and I've got a wide
torchon border on it at present, which only needs one and a half sides
done to be finished. Thenm I will have to stitch it on to material, which
will probably take another ten years :-(
My dream is to buy a new Le Puy pillow next time I go to France. I might
get it next year as a birthday and 25th wedding anniversary present, we'll
be in France when they happen, and I'm sure I can throw enough hints for
DH to trip over!!

I tried to make my own straw pillow years ago, but no-one had told me that
the straw had to be cut very fine, so it wasn't a success...It never even
got to the dressing stage :-)

Helene from Melbourne, who just realized she's got a few things to finish...

http://au.movies.yahoo.com