Here is a recipe I've used for crochet patterns that needed to be stiffened.

I once made a lacey bride doll pattern, using white crochet cotton, had  it
on display for several years and never found it to have yellowed in any way,
nor did I find any bugs on it, but that  could be due to the northern
climate I live in, so I can't say how it would react in other areas.
-------------------------------------

Starch finishes are a matter of personal preference.  To vary the degree of
stiffness, increase or reduce the amount of cornstarch.  for best results,
thoroughly soak damp items in the hot cornstarch solution, wring out and air
dry, then when you are ready to iron, dampen items with water from a spray
bottle, roll up and let sit one to two hours, then iron.

Light finish;  Mix 2 tsp. cornstarch with 1/4 cup cold water, stir in 7 cups
boiling water.  Use for shirts.

Medium finish;  Mix 2 tbsp. cornstarch with 1/4 cup cold water,  stir in 7
cups boiling water.  Use for work and play clothes, curtains.

Stiff finish;  Mix 3 tbsp. cornstarch with 1/4 cup cold water, stir in 7
cups boiling water.  Use for collars, cuffs, aprons, placemats.

Extra stiff finish;  Mix 1/2 cup cornstarch with 1 cup cold water, stir in 7
cups boiling water.  Use for nurses' caps, crochet-work.  Form and affix
into final shape while still damp.

To give fabrics new body, add 2/3 cups cornstarch directly to the washer,
load detergent as agitation begins.

To an automatic washer for a light starch finish, add 2/3 cup cornstarch in
the last rinse.

The are the recipes our grandmothers used in the days before spray starches
came on the market.

Karen
Ontario, Canada