Dear Annette

Gabrielle answered already many important things. You might also want to
look at
my page about this subject: http://www.xs4all.nl/~falkink/lace/hang-EN.html
Another picture is on http://www.xs4all.nl/~falkink/lace/kant-EN.html
Bigger (both length and diameter) bobbins are more comfortable to work with,
but also more difficult to stack. I tried the hooded bobbins, but they made
me mad with sewings: they tend to split. If you want to try, look for smooth
wood quality otherwise the thread wears very fast.
Look also for Tamara's report on her Praghue Workshop in the archive

Most importantly: take it easy, learn to relax, take your pauses, and learn
to listen to your body. I know it is difficult but you don't want to end up
needing help in the bathroom! Or to lift your cup of tea, or ... Consider
even to quit making lace / use your PC privately for half a year and then
start again very carefully with 5 minutes per day. It has been horrible to
me, but helped me to recover.
Good luck!

Jo Falkink