Hi Clay:

I'm normally the most suspicious antiques shopper you'd ever see, and I'd certainly politely ask the seller for the provenance of the bobbin if I were going to bid on it. It would be interesting to see what the seller said.

I'd also check what the seller means by "16th-century" because a lot of people think that means the 1600s, not the 1500s.

If by "dug" the seller means that this bobbin was lying on its own in the open ground for a few centuries, I'd agree that the condition is entirely too good for that. But, it could have been found inside the floor of a 16th century home, for example, in which case it would be dirty and dry but not necessarily otherwise damaged.

For shape, I don't think it's out of range for a bobbin from the 1600s, and maybe even the 1500s, because we have so little information on bobbin shapes from that time.

Re: the turning: yes, it's true lacemaking was still in its early stages, but not lathe-turning. Craftsmen had been making weaving bobbins for centuries, ditto fine turnings for a number of other wooden implements. So I don't think that argument stands up too well.

But, I'd still join you in the skeptical line, though with an open mind ;0)

Adele
North Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)

Clay wrote:
I came across the following on ebay today:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/ eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=114&item=6112829488

Now, I must say I'm VERY skeptical.  (1) 16th century?  says
who??  This is an awfully sophisticated turning for a bobbin
used in an art form which was merely decades old at the
time.  (2) for a "dug" bobbin, the sharp edges of the
turnings are awfully crisp and clean...  (3) dug from
*where*???  this bobbin doesn't look like anything I'm
familiar with from "way back"...

- To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line: unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]