In a message dated 8/7/2004 1:03:44 AM GMT Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> > Mr and Mrs Hoover (before he became President), managed to persuade the
>  > US government to send help to Belgium, and managed to persuade the
>  > Germans to let it through. So, flour went in, and empty bags came back.
>  > Empty, but most beautifully embroidered, by the grateful recipients;
>  > Mrs. Hoover made sure that more than just flour was sent: thread (also
>  > thread for lacemaking) was included in the shipments..

In addition to the flour sacks that were embroidered by the grateful
recipients of flour that was arranged to be sent to Belgium by Herbert Hoover at the
time of the blockade of Europe in the first World War, beautiful lace was made
by the Belgian lacemakers using as motifs the heraldic emblems of the
countries of the allies.
Some examples of this lace can be seen at the Hoover Tower on the Stanford
University campus in the Hoover Tower.  BTW, I understand that this was the
first presidential library.

After the war was over a number of these wonderful pieces of lace were
presented by the King of the Belgians to various governments as thankful recognition
for the help they had received.
The Lace Museum has a wonderful piece in their permanent display.  It is
covered in order to save it from too much sunlight, but can be seen by anyone who
asks.

Elaine Merritt
The Lace Museum
552 South Murphy Avenue