At 04:43 PM 8/17/04 +1000, Elizabeth Ligeti wrote:

>Can anyone please explain how to work a Split Chain in tatting.
>It is a way of passing from one round to another, without cutting off, and
>starting again on the next round.

>I believe you work part way along the chain, then make a long link to the
>start of the round, and somehow work back along the chain, and up to the
>next level.

Elgiva Nichols (_Tatting Technique and History_) calls the split-ring/split
chain technique "false tatting"[1], and uses it to produce dead ends and odd
vertices.  She didn't see fit to index "false tatting":  it's discussed on
page 38 of the Dover edition, in the chapter _The Search for a New Form_.

It is instructive to compare the slow and painful discovery of joins and
chains to the explosive development that mailing lists brought to tatting.
Nichols mentions the many possibilities of false chains, but gives no
instructions beyond "overcast the running thread", and does not explore the
conditions under which one can use a normal shuttle, rather than the netting
needle in use when the false chain was first used -- at first, joining[2]
was accomplished by using a netting needle instead of a shuttle, and passing
the whole needle through a picot.

Instructions for a menorah produced by false tatting are on page 101, and a
photograph of it is opposite page 112.

[1] because it is done by tying knots directly, rather than by the
more-efficient method of tying a knot in the shuttle thread, then pulling
the shuttle thread straight to transfer the knot into the ring or ball thread

[2] Tatting's "join" was developed entirely independent of the bobbin-lace
"sewing" -- was bobbin lace at such a low estate in 1850 that absolutely
nobody knew how to make a sewing?

--
Joy Beeson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]