Hi All,
Just back from a mini vacation, which included judging at the Colo9rado
State Fair - the lace of course :-).

The RMLG has a good relationship with our Fair organizers, and the Guild
sends 2 Judges each year, down to Pueblo to Judge.

This year we had a new class added to our section, which I think the
Fair people added.  It was listed as "Lace Christmas Ornament (not
knitting or crochet), and my co-Judge and I respectfully suggested that
perhaps it be reworded for next year to "Lace Holiday ornament" so that
people can enter ornaments relating to other holidays such as Easter,
Halloween, etc, and not just Christmas.

We have 11 classes all up (entries in 8 of them this year, but we
could've actually had something in all 10).  We had 25 entries this year
- and yes, it is open to anyone in the world, and the Aussie contingent
did very well :-)  There were also a couple of entries from the UK, and
they did very well, too.

The Colorado State Fair classes are:

Torchon lace
BL - continuous and NOT torchon (bucks, beds, etc)
BL - non continuous (Honiton, duchesse etc)
Tape laces (battenburg, etc)
NL
Tatting - thin threads (80-200)
Tatting - thick threads (5-75)
Mixed media (lace must comprise 51% of item)
Other laces - eg carrickmacross, tambour, etc
Novice - 16 and under  OR has made the technique for less than 3 years.
Lace Christmas ornament - NOT knitting or crochet.

We found the hardest class to judge this year was the novice class, as
it was 3 entries - a piece each of Honiton, tatting and carrickmacross.

Because of the way the classes are set up, it's not been comparing
apples to watermelons, but more a "melon" class and a "berry" class - if
you know what I mean.

As we used a numerical system (score out of 10 for each of 8 or 9
elements, total determining placings), it was fairly straightforward to
Judge.

The Colorado State Fair people are good, and have worked with us to
revamp classes as seen fit, over the years.  The RMLG also awards a
lovely big rosette, which is trimmed with lace made by one of our
members, and this is quite sought after.  Some years 1 piece will get
the RMLG ribbon and the State Fair's Best in Show, some years they go to
2 pieces, which are equally outstanding (this year they went to the same
piece).  It's Judge's discretion.

Cheers,
Helen, Aussie in soggy Denver