In a message dated 8/23/2004 12:09:01 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

When he  caught me at my 2nd or 3rd retro-effort and repeated
all th reasons  against such, I looked up from my pillow and - bold as
brass - said: "I  married *rich*; I do this for pleasure"...

Perhaps another response would be that you make lace for the most
discriminating clientele. I can't imagine that poor quality would be tolerated  in
lace
intended for royalty or aristocracy. In fact, in Tina, Mr. Le Fort is  quite
angry to hear that there is a mistake in the lace. Later he pleads  with Tina
to return to Belgium to help complete a special lace commission  for the
princess.

Admitting that the writer may not have known much about lace making, it is
nonetheless interesting to note that Tina has actually been taken into the
house  of a member of the aristocracy where her job is to do nothing but mend lace
all  day. She is being paid $40 a week and all of her living expenses. At the
 Metropolitan Museum of Art we have pieces of lace that have been so artfully
 mended that it is staggering to think how long it must have taken to do it.
It  is certainly a tribute to how highly the lace was valued.

A great deal of our information about lacemakers and their economic
conditions come from the period when lace was in decline, after the introduction  of
machinery. I often wonder if the extrapolation of these poor economic
conditions back in time is actually justified. In the Despierres book on the  Alencon
industry, I believe she gives some figures that indicate that lacemaking  was
relatively well-paid compared to other female occupations and that  lacemakers
were considered desirable wives because of this. Alencon was a very
luxurious fabric. I can't imagine it brought the high prices it did if mistakes  were
routinely made and left in.

Devon