On Aug 23, 2004, at 23:57, Weronika Patena wrote:

By the time you get to linen fabric for mounting, it's not going to be
cheap... :)

??

Cotton is *much* cheaper than linen, 9 times out of 10 (the 10th being what Sharon has suggested - free discards from framing stores - *thanks* Sharon)

It's far easier on the pocketbook to *pick a fabric which matches the weight of
the lace* the best,

That would require:
1) Having already made the lace <g>
2) Knowing how to match
3) Having a fabric store nearby so that I can actually look at the fabric as
opposed to buying it online...

In that case, I'd *definitely not* buy my fabric on E-Bay, however tempting it might - seemingly (have you figured in the shipping?) - be with a low price... :)

Re # 2: If you know zilch about fabrics in general, then the *only* sensible way to cope is to take the finished lace and try to match it to something that'll be pleasing - a lace/fabric "divorce" can be as harrowing as a real-life one. You'll know what's right and what's not if you have both *in hand* (lace is a lot about a tactile experience, even if we're not permited to touch it in the museums and at demos); there's no way you can tell from a screen...

Re #1: If you don't even have the lace you might want to mount... It's a waste of time and money to buy the fabric *now*; you don't even know how much of it you might need. I have some mounting fabric (both cotton and linen, in different weights) which has been mouldering for years, because I got it before I knew what I wanted to use it for. Some of it I *have* used - by adapting the patterns and the threads to suit it - but it's not a route I'd recommend in general. The only exception would be handkerchiefs - either pre-embroidered (and spurring ideas for new patterns to match the embroidery) - or plain. They can always be cut down to size, at little expense/waste.

Re #3: I *cannot imagine* that there isn't *a* fabric store anywhere near you - you're in the Bay Area of California, not in some place "where the devil says goodnight"... If nothing else, you could go there, and educate yourself about the terms used for fabrics, the better to be able to buy them on-line... And - following Sharon's suggestion - there ought to be framing stores galore; isn't half of the CA population "artistic"? <g>

Another source of cheap linen fabric, available to you (as it was to me <g>)... Polish linen is inferior only to Irish linen in quality; ask your parents to send you some - once you know the weight (dress, shirt, handkerchief, etc) and colour you might require.

---
Tamara P Duvall             http://lorien.emufarm.org/~tpd
              Healthy US through The No-CARB Diet:
    no C-heney, no A-shcroft, no R-umsfeld, no B-ush.