If making items for money raising is against copyright, then woe be tide to
all those who purchase Family Circle magazine and the like for putting
patterns in their magazine for just that purpose.

I think there is a point where the copyright issue becomes just a silly bit
of nonsense.  If you're making items to raise money for a cause, I would say
make them, sell them, and if someone wants to come sue you, let them come.
Imagine how silly THEY would look, having their attorney send a nasty letter
to the care home about the abuse of coypyright.

Logic has to come into play here.

What if I bought yards and yards of fabric and made quilts to sell for the
hospital bazaar.  The fabric was actually printed panels.  I guess selling
them would be copyright.  How silly it would be for a lawyer to send a
letter to the volunteer office at the hospital telling us to cease and
desist selling the quilts to raise money to help save lives.

I wouldn't worry about it.  Look at ebay.  There are lots of pillows and the
like being sold with Disney and other copyrighted items made into items that
people have made and are selling.

If you were to make some lace garters for example and sell them at a wedding
show, I highly doubt you would be arrested for copyright infringement.

This copyright issue comes up so often, it makes my head spin.  It gets
people so terrified to do anything and I think that's just ridiculous.  Of
course there's the stealers, but I would bet 99% of us are not out to rip
off other's work, and I don't know anyone here who's become a millionaire
making lace.

Karen