So, this "10 ladies took 10 years" may be an exaggeration. I don't know I
have never made one or even made any chantilli. I would like to know from
someone who does have an idea,

1. How long would it take to make one of these shawls?
2. How much did a new one cost?
3. What was the comparison of that cost then to what a new one would cost
today?
4. How much do you think they will sell for?
5. Are the people who buy them going to wear them or use them in a museum?

Thanks for your input.

Karisse
Central TX

> > OK, If it took 10 women, 10 years to make one of those
>shawls

Whoa....back.  Think a bit.  This is an old wives tale...exaggeration.

These lacemakers were proficient.  They did this every day and were good at
it.  And the work day was longer than the modern worker has.  Even if the
shawl were 60 inches square (and most were less than that), that would be
3600 square inches.  At an inch an hour (and they probably did better than
that), it would take 3600 hours.  At 12 hours a day, that's 300 days
- ---less than a year for one person alone.  Ten ladies working together
could probably produce one in a month.

The only thing I remember taking 10 years to make (other than neglected
projects on some of our pillows) was an extremely large needlelace
tablecloth ordered by a French Queen to be made by nuns in a convent.  The
number of ladies working on it, and the number of hours was not
mentioned.  By the time it was completed, the queen was dead and the new
monarch didn't want the cloth.  The convent was left with it.