In a message dated 30/08/2004 01:02:21 GMT Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> In the 2-Pair Inventions booklet, I've put myself (or, rather, The Lace
> Museum <g>) at the mercy of the individual lacemaker's goodwill...
> After stating that all the profits from the sale of it are intended for
> The Lace Museum, I added:
>
> "If you're using patterns from a borrowed copy, please send a small
> donation to:" and gave the Museum's address.
>
> So, the permission to copy is *definitely* implied here. As is an
> appeal to the individual's conscience :)

There is a type of software called 'Momware' where if you want to register it
you send the designers mum 5 dollars.  They work on the principle that mum
put up with them designing it and running a taxi service for them so she should
get the money.  It also works because you feel mean that his mum isn't getting
the money so you are more likely to pay it.

The whole reason that I brought this issue up is because I feel that
desingers should be more explicit in their copyright notices in their work

So, Tamara you have put in, what I feel is a good caveat - you are saying
that you know they will be naughty and photocopy this so you are playing to their
consciences to be good and send a donation.  I hope that it works on two
levels - one they send the donation and two they feel bad when they don't!

As to the horror students - I think that they are getting less because we are
trying harder to behave right.  I have to say that I haven't had a student
'borrow' books and keep them for over 4 or 5 years but then I don't let students
take my books away from the teaching day any more.

I always find looking at other people's books an inspiration to go and get
the book - this applies outside of lacemaking - heck - we've even got a bookcase
in the bathroom for those 1 pound classic editions so people have something
to read in the bath.

When I started making lace I had a few run ins with my teacher (and infact
went off and learnt from books after about 4 months because of how she behaved)
and one of the two major ones was over my first lace fair.  We had a big
social club at work and were allowed to set up clubs for any thing we wanted to do
from Cricket to lacemaking and the company gave up start up money to buy
equipment and then monthly money to run the club. (Should point out that about 2
years later they closed down all the clubs as they were draining out a lot of
money - with 140,000 staff and I think I worked out there were about 140,000
clubs!!)

So, when we went to our first lace fair, the company gave us petrol money,
money for a lunch out, money to buy the group things to use collectively and
money to buy stock for the club to then sell to members who couldn't go to the
fair or joined afterwards.

So, off we went, had a great day and spent an awful amount of our own money
and the clubs.

When we got back I started on a pattern out of a leaflet that I had bought at
the lace fair.  No problem there, I'd bought it and was happily working on it
- but my teacher threw a Hissy Fit (see I'm learning Aussie speak) and
demanded a copy of the pattern.   I was completely bemused by this - it only cost
about 2 pounds and was commonly available from our very local lace supplier.
What she said to me made me spit with anger - she said that it was 'taken as
granted' that any pattern we bought she would get a copy for teaching us.

I'd like to point out that the company paid her for each lesson very much
above the normal rate and we also paid weekly subs to her as well (no we didn't
realise that she was being paid by the company but that came out after she
disappeared with all the equipment when the club was wound up by the company)

That type of pressure from someone is terrible because they put you in a
position to stand up to them in front of everyone else.  I just simply refused and
said that if she wanted a copy she should buy it like everyone else.

Regards

Liz in London

I'm back blogging my latest lace piece - have a look by clicking on the link
or going to http://journals.aol.com/thelacebee/thelacebee