Nah, you're not the only one, Liz - I do it, too.  I thought that was
how everyone did it.  Besides, I don't think my spangles on a pair of
bobbins would go into the pockets I have - they're too skinny I think.
Makes sense, though, 'coz then you don't have spangles getting tangled.

I usually use my roll when starting a piece, and I've wound a ton of
pairs up in preparation - tends to keep them together, and I can keep a
track of how many I've wound.

Cheers,
Helen, Aussie in Denver