This brings up the question of "purity" and naming.  If I use some Cluny
techniques on a Beds pattern, is it still Beds?  If I use torchon ground on
a Bucks grid, is that Bucks point lace?  If I mix crochet stitches in with
detached buttonhole, is that needlelace?

I agree that mixing techniques can be beautiful.  I agree that it is
important to continue to "push the envelope" and advance our art.  But how
far from the traditional techniques can one go before one needs to change
the name?  The name loses meaning if we try to keep it when we've changed
the techniques "too much".

Jean's question boils down to whether it's still stumpwork if you mix
machine embroidery and other modern techniques.  I'm not convinced that all
work that includes dimensional embroidery qualifies as stumpwork, so it's a
matter of determining the boundary.  I don't know where that boundary is,
but perhaps you have gone far enough beyond tradition that you should call
it "embroidery including stumpwork and machine work" or something like that.

Robin P.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
http://www.pittsburghlace.8m.com/