Jean
As I understand it, stumpwork was the art of making little 3 dimensional
figures out of lace stitches to attach to embroidered fabric.  Your
experience with the C & G group doesn't really surprise me.  It embodies my
major objection to formal certification bodies.  They tend to think they
have the right to set standards and, excuse me for saying it, tend to look
down their noses at those who follow a different standard.  I suppose the
way to find their restrictions reasonable is to think of them as trying to
keep alive the old techniques used in  historical examples which they admire
so much.  I suppose that is a reasonable perspective.  Somebody should keep
alive that old set of rules.  But you don't have to believe in your heart
that it is the only standard.

If getting the certification really matters to you, why not just adhere to
their historic standard in the piece you submit for the certification
process, and do your own adventuresome project after the certificate is in
your hands.  Save the creative stuff for when the standards body is not
looking over your shoulder.  You will prove to them that you CAN keep the
old standard, and once you've done that, nobody can say that you incorporate
machine embroidery because you are incapable of doing hand embroidery.
Lorelei