On Sep 11, 2004, at 20:22, Bev Walker wrote:

[...] what size bolster? Mine is 20 inches around (circumference) by about 11 inches
long - I suspect it should be bigger to give a broader work surface (the
topmost part). I could wrap something around this one to make it bigger,
or I could make a whole'nother bolster. My midlands bolster, in use, is 37
inches around, and about 14 inches long, maybe too bulky for Idrija

Not too bulky at all. I've seen those tape laces made on some truly huge pillows ( at least 18" long, 12" diameter, which would make it 37+" in circumference) They might, perhaps, be a bit awkward to work on in your lap (as one lady I've seen was doing), but, on a bolster horse they're perfect, because they do give you a lot of flat space to work on.

I've been learning to make loop-de-loops ("passing through gimp" it's called in Loehr's Schwartzarbeit book) on a roller pillow. A first for me, since I've only ever done those on a flat/cookie pillows. It felt very strange to begin with, but now seems almost easier than on a cookie; the heads of the big pins which hold the loop open don't get in the way as much.

But now I've come to a puzzle... I need to flip the pattern upside-down for the second half of the edging (no, I've not made the first part yet; only the first sample of the first part. But since I need to wait till Holly comes back from CA before I can get the thread for the real thing, I might as well keep doodling on paper, and be ready).

In the first half, the paisley starts with the "head", which is the part where the pairs pass in and out of the loop. So the loop is held open below the stitches, as it should be. But, in the upside down version, the paisley starts with the "butt", and *ends* with the head. And, to save my life, I can't figure out how to form that loop. Can't form it above the work, 'cause it would get tangled in the pins previously set it. Can't quite imagine how to set it below the work. *Hate* to use a separate pair of gimps to enclose just 6 piddling pins... Sigh... Tomorrow, I'll try working it out with bobbins in hand, but on the diagram-scaled pricking . Perhaps magnification will trigger some brilliant ideas... Or, pehaps, it'll turn out I don't need a loop-de-loop there at all, and am just making things more difficult for myself... I just hope it doesn't turn out that, in the upside down position, it's the whole paisley which needs to be made within the loop, and the head the part which is "normal" :)

---
Tamara P Duvall             http://lorien.emufarm.org/~tpd
              Healthy US through The No-CARB Diet:
    no C-heney, no A-shcroft, no R-umsfeld, no B-ush.