I haven't used this book at all and had simply looked quickly at it.  A
closer examination of one of the illustrations shows that she faile to twist her
worker enough at the edge pin hole - in fact, there seem to be no twists at all
in some places.  So I'll accept Jane's evaluation of it.

I simply fell heir to this and other titles when a School of Home Economics
closed down.  the other titles are:

Pillow lace in the East Midlands           Luton Museum
Lace making                                        Eunice Close, 1951
Lace making: the homecraft of all ages   Eleanor Page, 1930 repr. 1952   and

Lacemaking by Margaret Waller.  Dryad leaflet no. 142, n.d.

I wouldn't want to try to learn from either Close or Page.  Interestingly,
Close calls half stitch  gauze stitch

Patricia in Wales