In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Eileen
Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>I can't believe it, I will be in London that weekend!!!  2 questions:

Firstly, remember that the NEC is on the outskirts of Birmingham, which
is approximately 100 miles from London. As the others have said, this is
easily accessible by train, and a quick look at
http/www.nationalrail.co.uk shows that on Saturday, to arrive for just
after opening, you would need to get the 8.15am train from Euston. The
web site is our national rail enquiry site, and also gives details of
engineering works, fares etc. Trains between London Euston and
Birmingham International (the NEC station) are half-hourly for most of
the day.  If you plan to do any serious rail travel while you are over
here, you need to ask your travel agent (I think) about getting a rail
pass for the UK - you must do this before you travel! I remember asking
the question before for someone who was planning to go all over the
place, and that was the answer - it is cheaper to do so abroad, I don't
think you can get anything similar here.  If the trip to Brum (local
name!) is the only rail travel you plan, then you can buy (at the
station on the day) a "Saver Return" ticket which will cost you 36.50
(GBP) each. Sometimes "Cheap Day Return" tickets are available, but
nothing has shown up as available on the website.

The NEC is adjacent to Birmingham International Station - you just
follow the signs! It takes about ten minutes to walk from the platform
to the Pavilion (which is the relevant exhibition hall).

Parking at the NEC now is 6.00 pounds per vehicle - at least, it was the
last time we went. As the BBC Clothes Show is likely to be on, the car
parks are likely to be packed!

The main reason why the station is called Birmingham International is
that it is "next door" to Birmingham Airport. There is a transport link
between the two.

>How much time should I allow to see the fair? (all day?)

Definitely all day if it is your first time and you plan to buy rather
than just look - it is possible to get round quicker, but only by not
stopping and talking to people you know!!! If you know what you want
from which supplier, then get a show guide, sit down with a cuppa and
plan your route - then you might only need half a day :-).

>And DH wants to know if there are other things of interest in the area
>since he doesn't want to go to the lace fair <G>

I was born in Birmingham, now live twenty miles north. A great deal of
the answer to this question depends on what is he interested in? The
National Motorcycle Museum is very close to the NEC, or a twenty minute
train ride will take him into the City Centre (Birmingham New Street)
where there are quite a few other areas of interest (not just
shopping!). As the others have said, there are normally several other
shows on at the same time, but be aware that some are trade shows, not
open to the general public. There is a Tourist Information Centre on the
main NEC Concourse, who can advise. Last year I combined my visit to the
lace fair with seeing the Cat Show, this year, from what Jean has just
said, I might be tempted by the railway one (is it Warley Models, Jean?
- that very rarely coincides!). Let me know what he is likely to want to
do, and I'll let you know if there is anything nearby that suits.

--
Jane Partridge