On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 21:42:13 +0100 (BST), Laura wrote:
>I'm Laura and was a member of the list some time ago, had to leave the list due to
>major changes in personal circumstances, even stopped making any lace over this time
>too, so I'm a bit rusty. Now things are more settled and I've picked up my pillow and
>bobbins again, and easing myself in gently. Decided to finally make some Christmas
>decs with bangles, and this leads me to my problem. I thought I'd have a go at the
>Christmas Spider nad have fallen at the first block.
>
>Here's my problem - how do I do the 8 pair cross? Or is there another way of starting
>it?

Is this the Christmas spider designed by Jackie MacDouall whose pricking is
on my website?  It can be seen at:
http://www.sandbenders.demon.co.uk/gallery/chrspid.htm
As the instructions start with an 8 pair crossing, then I think it probably
is this one.

So far as I know Jackie isn't on arachne at the moment, so she isn't likely
to answer.  I haven't made the ornament myself, so I don't know either.  If
I were doing the spider I would consult either Practical Skills in Bobbin
Lace by Bridget Cook or the equivalent German book by Ulrike Löhr.  The
crossing isn't a decorative feature of this pattern - it's there just to get
the pairs into the right places - so I would pick whichever 8 pair crossing
in the books looks easiest to do.
--
History is a set of lies agreed upon. - Napoleon Bonaparte
Steph Peters  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Scanned by WinProxy
http://www.Ositis.com/