Something finally came along that brought me out of my long lurk-mode.

On another list I subscribe to, one on 18c history, they've been discussing
toilet paper - as in what was used before the purpose made rolls of today.
This morning someone posted a link to an amazing collection of tp trivia,
including . . . wait for it . . . French royalty used lace!

http://www.toiletpaperworld.com/tpw/encyclopedia/navigation/funfacts.htm

(It's a long page so if you're in a hurry to find it best search the page
for lace.)

Is this an answer to that perennial question -- what to give the person who
has everything?

Su
in delightfully cool Virginia