DH bought me a digi camera last Christmas - a 3.2 mega pixel Olympus which is really tiny and I now take it nearly everywhere I go. It's easy to use and there's no expensive film to purchase and have processed. Some pictures I print out, others I just store on the computer. I take a lot more photos than I used to.

I did buy another memory card - the one with it was very small, only 8Mb, the replacement is 128Mb which will store 55 photos on the highest quality setting, the definition of which is great, and 798 on the lowest quality setting - which is intended for web use but still needs to be compressed a lot of the time.

When it comes to printing, yes the quality does depend a great deal on the printer, but if you get something you really want printed at top quality you can always put it onto CD and take it into the photo lab for printing.

I have a Canon i560. I took photos of a piece of lace, overall size a bit smaller than A4 to test on all 4 settings and even the lowest quality 640 x 480 pixels printed acceptably at 4" x 6". The highest quality 2048 x 1536 printed about a quarter of the mat onto A4, so quite a big enlargement, and every thread is clear. Compared to that the mobile phone camera's 320 x 240 pixels is rubbish.

I've started using the digi camera to record students' work. Anyone who teaches LEA classes will know just how much paperwork is required now and it's the easiest way of recording progress (or otherwise!). Every few weeks I go around the class and snap each pillow. I also take pics of finished work. Small size prints (8 to the page) on plain paper is adequate for this.

I have a question of my own about digi cameras. Does anyone know of a digital camera of at least 3 megapixels which does not have a moving lens. DH wants to be able to hold a camera against the eyepiece of his telescope to take magnified images (of birds) but the zoom lens prevents this. You can get adaptor rings, which cost about 50GBP and take time to screw on and off of the telescope, but a static lens would be much more convenient.

Brenda - back from Suffolk this afternoon and getting up at 5am tomorrow for a day in Bruges. Daresay I'll take a few more photos!
http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/paternoster/