Tamara wrote:
>...I have lots of "issues" with the US's "do it my way or take the
highway" attitude, but the placing of the address label isn't one of
them :)
it does make sense, if you're trying to have millions of pieces of mail
processed, efficiently, by a dumb machine... I'm a great proponent of
common sense :)

Still raises the question, Tamara, of "how come other countries can read
the sender's addresses at the back with -probably- the same machines?..."
In Australia, we are required to put the Airmail sticker in the top
left-hand corner. As far as I know, there are no stickers that combine
"AIRMAIL" and sender's address on them :-)otherwise, I might buy them.

I am quite happy for all the POs in the world to discuss the matter and
decide that they are *all* going to ask their citizens to put the sender's
address in the top left-hand corner (or wherever). I am less happy to know
that my mail might be ditched out when I write to one country while it's
OK in all the others...As you say, it's a small thing, but it is another
irritant.
I think I will put the sender's address on both back and front this Xmas,
just to annoy everyone :-)

helene, the froggy from Melbourne, with about 100 Xmas letters to go...

http://au.movies.yahoo.com